2007 Argyll Classic Car Rally, Scotland

Image 40 of 144
< Prev Next >
040.jpg
The final event in the centenary year celebrations of the Argyll Motor Works in Alexandria which opened on June 26th 1906.....The memorial stone at the summit of the Rest and Be Thankful.....For more than 100 years the Rest and Be Thankful road in Glen Croe has played an important part in motoring in Scotland. First as part of test runs for production vehicles and then for hill climbs and rallies...Built by Major William Caulfield who, in 1732, was appointed Inspector of Roads by the Commander-in-Chief in Scotland, General George Wade. ..In 1743 a survey was made and work started on a military road from Dumbarton to Inverary. Interrupted by the 1745 rebellion and started again in 1746 reaching the summit of the Rest and Be Thankful in 1748...The expanded inscription on the stone is .." Military Road repaired by th 93rd Regiment 1768.  Transfered to Commissioners for Highways, Roads and Bridges  in the Year 1814" ..The 93rd Highlanders later became The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.